The Scholarship From Hell is now open to applications!
NOW OPEN TO APPLICATIONS!
The Scholarship From Hell is the only scholarship offered by HWA that puts the recipient right into the intensive, hands-on workshop environment of Horror University. Horror University takes place during HWA’s StokerCon 2017 aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA April 27-30. The winner of the Scholarship From Hell will receive domestic coach airfare (contiguous 48 states) to and from Long Beach, a 4 night stay on the Queen Mary, free registration to StokerCon2017, and as many workshops as you’d like to attend! Be sure to follow us on Facebook or Twitter so you don’t miss out!
Deadline March 15, 2017
Winners announced March 30, 2017
Instructors will include:
- Gretchen McNeil: Character-Driven Plotting and the 3-Act Horror Novel
- Jonathan Maberry: Act Like a Writer
- Jack Ketchum: Writing from Experience, Writing from the Wound
- Linda Addison: Scary Forms: The World of Structured Poetry for All Writers
- Nicole Cushing: How to Give a Great interview
- Joe Nassise: Story Engines
- John Skipp: How to Write Like a Scenarist (And Adapting to Stage, Screen and Comics)
- Josh Finney / Kat Rocha: Writing for Comics and Graphic Novels
- James Chambers: Picturing Fear: Writing Horror Comics and Graphic Novels
- Tim Waggoner: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Horror
- Ace Antonio Hall: Lord of the Flies: Fitness for Writers
- Patrick Freivald: Saying More with Less
- Sèphera Girón: Tarot Cards and Writing 101
- Hank Schwaeble: Saying More With Less
- Jason V. Brock: Take Your Writing to Another Level
- Johnny Worthen: Mistakes Were Made
- Michael Arnzen: Making Readers Squirm
- Tom Leveen: How to Write Awesome Dialog
- Kate Jonez: Editing Intensive
For a complete list of the workshops and instructors, please visit the Horror University page.
The Scholarship From Hell has been established by the authority of the Horror Writers Association Board.
Rules for The Scholarship From Hell
- Membership in HWA or StokerCon is not necessary in order to apply.
- The application period each year shall be determined by the Scholarship Committee.
- Scholarships will be awarded as the result of the vetting process described below.
- The chairs of the yearly StokerCon will act as the committee that selects the winner of The Scholarship From Hell.
- The committee has the discretion not to announce a winner if it feels no applicant has met the required standard. The committee may not allocate joint winners of the Scholarship. They may not give The Scholarship From Hell to anyone who has won another HWA-funded scholarship in any year.
- The winner will be announced on March 15th, 2017.
- Applicants must fill in and submit the application form designed for that purpose. The application form must be published at www.horror.org but may be also be available wherever the HWA sees fit.
- The application form must include a section for the applicant to supply an essay of no more than 250 words in which they describe the educational opportunities they hope the scholarship will provide for them. This essay should include what they hope to gain from attending StokerCon, what workshops they will find most useful, and how they hope the award will advance their writing career.
- The committee should rely primarily on the applicant’s essay when making their selection, but may also consider the following:
- The quality and potential shown in the applicant’s written work to date.
- The likelihood that the applicant’s career would benefit from further writing education.
- The likelihood that the applicant is committed to the horror genre.
- The likelihood that the applicant will contribute to the development of the genre, including increasing and/or broadening our readership.
- The financial need of the applicant.
- The winner will work with HWA’s administrator to make all arrangements. The winner may either request reimbursement if they choose to make their own arrangements, or may ask the administrator to make all arrangements on their behalf.
- The Scholarship From Hell must be used in the same year it is awarded.
- The Scholarship From Hell will be made available annually but the HWA Board has the right to suspend the scholarship program in any given year for the sole reason of limited finances, or to abolish the scholarship altogether. Notice of such suspension or abolition must be given no later than 31 October each year.
- Scholarship recipients agree to provide bios and photographs to HWA for use in promoting the scholarships, and recipients will also agree to reasonable requests for interviews regarding the educational experiences provided by the scholarship.
To apply for The Scholarship From Hell, please click here.
The application period closes at 11:59 p.m. on March 15th.
The Scholarship From Hell is made by possible by monies received by HWA from the Authors Coalition.