This October, Halloween Haunts rises again!
From October 1 through October 31, the Horror Writers Association will host an online event to celebrate the month of Halloween and help horror readers and horror writers connect at the eeriest time of the year.
All HWA members are invited to participate in this series of daily blog posts, book excerpts, and more. Halloween Haunts offers HWA members a place to share Halloween anecdotes and stories to connect with new readers, spread the word about members’ new works, and raise the profile of the horror genre and the HWA.
You can find past posts on our Halloween blog: https://horror.org/category/halloween/…
DEADLINE to Submit: September 30, 2021
Blog posts should be at least 500 words (but no more than 2000) on the subject of Halloween, horror writing, or the HWA. Halloween posts might share a frightening, fun, or memorable Halloween anecdote, a Halloween tradition, or a piece of Halloween history. Many horror writers have an affinity for Halloween; tap into that and remind the rest of the world why Halloween is the year’s coolest holiday. Each year we’ve had some great, spooky personal Halloween stories, and we hope to continue that tradition this year. Horror writing posts should offer some insights or tips about working in the genre. Posts about the HWA might discuss your experiences as a member and how the HWA has helped you as a writer.
Please note: Your submission must include a blog post to take part in Halloween Haunts and submit promotional materials. The post itself cannot be expressly promotional.
Your bio and links. Please include a one-paragraph bio with links to where readers can find your website and/or blog or buy your work online (Amazon, your publisher, etc.). You may also include a photo.
Previews of forthcoming fiction and/or non-fiction by HWA members. Consider submitting a preview of your recent or forthcoming publication along with your blog post. Works of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, or any other form of horror writing published or scheduled for publication in 2017-2018 can be included. Preview material should include a cover shot (see image specs below); a sample chapter, section, or poems; review blurbs; and a link (or links) to where readers can find your work (i.e. Amazon.com or your publisher’s website).
Book giveaways. If you are willing to give away a copy of a book (paper or electronic) or another item related to horror writing and/or Halloween, please note that in your email. We will make these giveaways available as “daily draws” for readers who enter by posting in the comments section of the blog. The only stipulation is that you have to donate the book and send it out yourself to the winner at your own cost; we’ll send you the winner’s address and/or e-mail address.
How to submit—READ CAREFULLY—NEW INSTRUCTIONS:
- Compile your post, bio, and promotional links into a single Word document—and give your post a title; excerpts in Word should be included in the same file. Alternatively, posts and other text may be submitted in the body of an e-mail. Excerpts in .pdf are fine.
- Text should be single-spaced, 12 point, Times New Roman. The simpler and cleaner the formatting is, the easier they’ll transfer to the blog.
- Upload all content using this form: https://horrorwritersassociation.submittable.com/submit/1079d219-f7f8-4c52-97e7-138563ca007e/2021-halloween-haunts
- Photos: All photos or cover images must be in .jpg format, 72 ppi, dimensions 200 ppi x 300 ppi (or as close as possible).
- Please include all material at one time.