Rena Mason and James Chambers, Bram Stoker Awards® Committee Co-Chairs
It’s that time of year when the Bram Stoker Awards® submissions and recommendations kick into high gear. Here are some quick and easy tips to help members.
1) ALL members can make a recommendation: Supporting, Affiliate, Active, Associate, Academic, and Lifetime.
- a) If you’re the author/publisher/editor, you cannot recommend your own work.
2) If you’ve read it or watched it and loved it, recommend it!
- a) Please keep track of your recommendations and avoid recommending the same work twice.
- b) If you have questions, write to email@example.com.
3) To make a recommendation, login to the “Members Only” section of horror.org and click the big red button to the right that reads “RECOMMEND A WORK.”
- a) A form will show up.
- b) Fill out the form.
- c) Click “Submit” at the bottom right when you’re done.
4) Only recommendations made by members appear on the HWA Bram Stoker Awards Recommendations list.
- a) Login to the “Members Only” section of horror.org.
- b) To the right, just under the big red button that reads “RECOMMEND A WORK,” click “2019 Recommended Works List” to view the list.
5) If you see a work you like already listed, but you haven’t recommended it yet, recommend it anyway!
- a) The more recommendations a work has, the better its chances are at making it onto the Preliminary Ballot.
6) If your work appears on the HWA Bram Stoker Awards Recommendations list, you can write firstname.lastname@example.org to have a link or note added for members only to review your work for consideration.
7) Anyone (even non-members) can submit a work for Jury review.
- a) Visit this link: https://horrorwritersassociation.submittable.com/submit/.
- b) You can only submit a work to the jury if you are the author/editor/publisher/Jury Chair for that category/Awards Committee Staff.
- c) The work must have been/be published in 2019.
- d) The work submitted will NOT appear on the HWA Bram Stoker Awards Recommendations list.
- e) You will NOT hear from the Jury other than the automatic reply generated when your submission went through.
- f) If your work is chosen by the Jury, it will show up on the Preliminary Ballot in February.
For more information on etiquette and how you can promote your work, visit http://www.thebramstokerawards.com/submissions/.
Please direct any questions to email@example.com.