KP Note: Well, look at that number above. That is the number of market reports I’ve contributed to the HWA Newsletter, even long before I was editor. Good grief. That’s a lot of magazines and book publishers and podcasts and anthologies and contests and various whatnots.
Here’s to 275 more market reports with tons more markets! And, if you hear of a publisher or anthology or whatever that you think I might be interested in running, E-mail me at email@example.com (What? You don’t have this address memorized yet?). Thanks!
Eraserhead Press is closed until the next reading period. Red Room Magazine up and croaked. From the Web site: “Post Mortem Press is now closed for SHORT STORY submissions!” Escape Pod is temporarily closed to submissions. From PS Publishing‘s Web site: “Please be aware that our publishing schedule is full until the end of 2018 and we are not accepting any unsolicited manuscripts until further notice.”
Nightmare and Lightspeed are both currently closed to submissions. Issues in Earth Science isn’t taking fiction submissions right now. Aliterate is closed to submissions as well.
Apex Magazine—See Web site. Editor-in-Chief: Jason Sizemore; Managing Editor: Lesley Conner. “Apex Magazine is an online prose and poetry magazine of science fiction, fantasy, horror, and mash-ups of all three. Works full of marrow and passion, stories that are twisted, strange, and beautiful. Creations where secret places and dreams are put on display.”
Original Short Fiction:
“We are currently OPEN to short fiction submissions.”
“Our magazine is an SFWA-certified professional market.
- “Submit your work in Shunn Standard Manuscript Format.”
- “Maximum word length is a firm 7500 words. Anything more will be auto-rejected.”
- “Payment for original fiction is 6¢/word up to 7500 words. Minimum of $60.”
- “If we podcast your story, payment is 1¢/word up to 7500 words.”
- “Apex Magazine welcomes and encourages submissions from writers of all race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and military status. We want diverse voices. We value diverse voices. Having said that, please be aware that we do not collect any information that might clue our editors to any of these attributes other than your name, E-mail, and address prior to any decisions made regarding your submission.”
- “Submit short fiction submissions through the online form found [on the link below]. Stories submitted by E-mail or sent by mail will be disposed of unread.”
Reprints: “We do not accept unsolicited reprints.”
“Our policy on work published to Patreon is that the story will be treated as a reprint and be paid at our reprint rate. If you’re a pro-level writer with a Patreon, and you have a story you’d like us to consider, please E-mail the editor-in-chief with a query.”
Poetry: “We do not accept unsolicited poetry.”
Rights and Rules: “No simultaneous submissions. No multi-submissions for short fiction. We try to respond to all submissions within 30 days.”
“Before you submit your work, please review the appropriate contract template [found on the Web site]. If we accept your work, we will expect you to be familiar with our terms. Thanks!”
“Please send all queries regarding a submission’s status to our managing editor Lesley Conner [E-mail address below].”
Art Submission Guidelines: “We are currently closed to art submissions.”
“We offer $75 for digital reprint rights for cover art. If you’d like for your art to be considered for Apex Magazine please send an E-mail to [address below] that includes a link to your online gallery. We do not commission original work for the magazine, only preexisting art.”